Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Greg Bicket's focus thread
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 11:04:37 -0500

I guess when the camera is locked in place on a tripod, the "decisive
moment" has a different meaning to me than when prowling the streets a la
HCB.   But I suppose if you allow a decisive moment to last for minutes
rather than seconds, I guess it can apply to any situation, such as waiting
for the wind to die down when photographing a wild flower.

Dan C.

At 06:36 AM 05-11-00 -0800, Douglas Herr wrote:
>On Sun, 05 November 2000, Dan Cardish wrote:
>

>> The ONLY time I use manual focus is when I've locked the camera on a tripod
>> and am taking my sweet time taking the photograph.  This is when I usually
>> prefer focusing by eye on the screen, rather than move the camera to get
>> the center spot to the point I wish to focus (same problem applies to
>> M-Leica, but in this case I MUST move camera to focus). The concept of
>> "Decisive Moment doesn't apply.
>>

>I'm surprised that you think the "decisive moment" concept doesn't apply.
Can you explain this?  Am I reading this out of context?

>I often find there is a brief moment when all the elements I want come
together: light, posture, activity, background, and when the moment is gone
it doesn't come back.  Whether it's people or animals the concept is still
there.