Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Greg Bicket's focus thread
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 18:30:06 -0500

Well.....there's no law that says I must use my camera in AF mode.  It has
a very clear 100% viewfinder which is easy to focus anywhere within it by
eye.  I just have to flip a switch on the side of the camera to convert to
manual focus.  And sometimes I do just that.

But....how do you focus the way you do with an M-Leica?

Dan C.

At 02:24 PM 04-11-00 -0800, Douglas Herr wrote:

>one problem *I* have with autofocus (and auto-exposure, for that matter)
is that I want to be able to focus over the *entire* viewscreen and push
the button before the critter moves, instead of putting the critter
dead-center in the viewfinder, carefully pushing a button halfway,
recomposing while the bird is hopping or flying around, hoping I've kept
just the right pressure on the focus (or exposure) "hold" while following
the creature through its antics.  The auto features are more hinderance
than help for me.

>BTW I've just gotten a photo of a Sharp-shinned Hawk from this year's fall
migration at Hawk Hill.  I'll post the URL when it's on my website.  IMHO
it's an excellent example of how well-designed manual focus/manual exposure
equipment can work with active subjects.

>While I'm on my soap box I want to mention another of the supposedly great
advancements in technology ... VR!  I've read from user's reports that the
N**** 80-400 VR lens, in one of its VR modes, can take as long as 1 SECOND
between mashing the button and the camera opening the shutter.  If this is
true it will be a very long time before I abandon my shoulder-stocked
Telyts for this new-fangled techno-wonder.