Subject: [Leica] I'm Building a Darkroom
From: John Gong <jgong@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 19:32:39 -0800

Thanks for the comments last week on whether or not to start a darkroom
with/for my 10 year old. After hearing the siren song harkening to the "good
old days", I decided to go ahead. Even if it's good for a year or two before
proceeding to the Photoshop world, I like the comments about visualizing the
making of a photograph as a prelude to other tools.

Now I need additional advice:  what's a good, relatively compact enlarger
and lens? Must be good for 35mm, optionally 6x7 negs. Color is optional.
Called D.C. today inquiring about a V35 he has available. I might bite, but
could I do just as well with a more conservative setup?  For reference, it's
been 20 years since I used a darkroom.  My reference back then was the
sturdy old Beseler 23C. I'm willing to even downgrade to the 67's if there
are enough good recommendations from you.  Or what else is in that realm?
Omega? Others?

Regarding the lens, if I bought the V35, then a focotar is the obvious
choice. But what if I have to get one ala carte?  Schneider? Which series?

Some many questions, so little time... Off to the San Jose photo swap meet
tomorrow  (www.photofair.com)  !  Or if you have a darkroom setup for sale
in the SF bay area, please email to me offline.

John