Subject: [Leica] Re: RF alignment
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 15:59:46 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000 15:24:19 -0500 (EST) Andrew Moore
<dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

> > > operation. Not true, of course. Like all other M cameras, it is through an
> > > easily accessible hole in the front of the camera. Nothing has to be "taken
> > > apart." It is actually very simple.
>
> Is is really that simple?  You may not have to take it apart, as access
> can be gained behind the red dot, but from there don't you need a
> specailized tool?  If not, enlightment me, please!  (I'm talking
> specifically about the M6, M6TTL)
>
> ("Oh no!  Not that RF alignment thread again!")
>
> --Andrew
> NO ARCHIVE

Well, I should say read the archives, but here's my >>>OPINION<<<
There used to be (pre-M4P) an easily accessible vertical adjustment---an
eccentric "screw" that shoved the RF "telescope" (Leitz's term, not mine)
up and down....in 1980, this was removed...although the first M4P bodies
still had the "cap" screw....they had no adjustment....later, when the
brass bodies were replaced with zinc, the now well known "red dot" was
glued over the hole....there is NO indication that external adjustment
was intended, as confirmed by a Houston, Tx. Leica rep at the time....(I
worked for a shop then)

Later, either Leica or an independent got tired of removing top plates
and kludged a tool to "shift" the rf telescope....through a hole behind
the glued-on dot...as quality control was IFFY then, lotsa RFs needed
adjustment. (I can speak of my own cameras, tho, once adjusted, have been
SUPERB RFs....needing virtually no maintenance and performing flawlessly
for years)

This, I believe, BECAME the "leica tool"....but unless a Leitz employee from
'79-80 wants to confirm or contradict, I will never believe that such adjustment
was INTENDED...remember, this was the era that Leitz removed MANY adjustments and
made gears of harder material, in the interest of longer service without
repair....and I think they succeeded...although the post-M4P cameras don't
have the "look and feel"....they've been damn good tools.....

The plastic sync block came about in the late seventies, and as Leica users
are not big flash users, hasn't been much of a problem....but it still
bothers me after replacing two of them......(one of them was mine)...too
expensive a camera for plastic to be used for this part.....

I do agree with Erwin that the later cameras are great....but I don't agree that
they're "better" than the M2/3/4/...

Please, this is my OPINION, for twenty years, that no one with any credibility
has contradicted.....so don't start another argument thread unless you
have data FROM LEITZ.....that pre-dates the "tool"...this would have to be
from '79-81...that either proves that they meant for the adjustment to be
semi-permanent (likely) or that the tool was issued BEFORE the first M4P....

Thanks,
Walt