Subject: Re: [Leica] XTOL times/dilutions What changed?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 11:31:51 -0800

Dan S wrote:

> A note regarding XTOL.  After a number of mis-starts and mis matches (XTOL
> and Delta 100)  I finally found a Kodak combo I liked.  XTOL stock and TMAX
> 100.  I used this combo developed per the spec sheets for 9 MONTHS...with
> great results.
>
> A month ago I bought some new XTOL.  My tried and true time/temp combo gave
> me useless negs.  I thought I had picked up a bad batch. I thougt I had
> mis-mixed the dilution.  I thought I had lost my sinkin mind!  I tossed the
> remaining XTOL, purchased more and DAMN, more of the same.
>
> I finally just started increasing developement time/temps until I got the
> negs I USED to get based on the spec sheet.  I am now up to 6 minutes at 78
> degrees, with mild agitation every 30 secs.
>
> All this smells of a production change to me...Kodak, what's the story?
>
> Best Wishes
> Dan States
> Madison WI

Lots of problems only recently addressed by Kodak with the one liter packets.
You needed to be getting the 5 liter packets and five one liter glass bottles.
The stuff lasts for a year in that configuration. If not then it's cross your
fingers time.
A "problem" apparently with Xtol is when and if it dies, it does not turn color.
It stays clear.
People will use brown developer and not freak out so much when their film comes
out a pale stain.
But with a fresh looking clear developer like Xtol will appear to be and peoples
heads start revolving like on the Exorcist part II the beginning: Reagan goes to town.
Mark Rabiner

Exorcist 1:3