Subject: [Leica] Buying sight-unseen
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 07:23:56 -0600

> Bill,
> When you are interested to buy a camera, list your wanted to buy here on
> Fridays.  I think you find your chances will be improved.  I for one watch
> these and could be tempted since I am not able to give all of the stuff I
> have collected a good home.
>
> Steve

I agree with Steve. I think one of the advantages of buying Leica M is that
it is in some ways more satisfying to buy used than new (I've done both)
because you can try something and then return it if it doesn't quite seem
right. The thing about having some hands-on time is not so much whether the
camera functions but whether it appeals. I had one M6 that just had a
wonderful, buttery-smooth film advance, and another (bought new) that really
didn't. It was a very sublte thing--not like it was a "flaw" that I could
have complained about legitimately to a seller, or a "problem" that I might
have tried to take to a repairperson. But if I had seen, held, and operated
that second camera in a camera shop before buying it, I probably would have
simply quietly put it down and tried another.

Or, you might not be bothered in the slightest by one kind of cosmetic flaw
but be bugged by another. Sometimes things just appeal and sometimes not,
and not always for rational reasons. It's nice to either see what you're
buying before you buy it, or have the option of an unconditional return on a
piece bought "sight unseen." (I always give unconditional return privileges
for anything I sell on eBay. I think it simply raises buyers' comfort
level.)

- --Mike