Subject: Re: R: [Leica] Buying Leica M on Ebay
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 13:01:32 -0800

>> In all three of these purchases, the feedback was good. I think there
>>may be a
>> tendency to overstate and over rate the condition of these M bodies.
>> On just about any older M,  an immediate CLA will be needed. This is an
>>added
>> expense that should be factored in to the cost of the camera. But since
>>I will
>> no longer be buying camera bodies on ebay, I will not have to agonize.
>
>Bill,
>
>...and buying a used M from a Leica dealer is not always a gaurante either.
>I have bought an M2 and M3 from different Leica dealers mail order and each
>one had the infinity setting off on the rangefinder and some other problems...
>I was surprised by this as both dealers have good reputations AND advertise
>their Leica service department. I would have thought they would have at
>least checked the rangefinder before putting them on the for sale shelf.
>On the other hand everything that I have bought from LUG members was 'as
>advertised' and maybe better.
>
>Steve

bill,

i had a similar experience with a screw mount leica that i bought through
ebay, also from a lhsa member. the first roll shot with the camera showed
horizontal streaks across the negs. when i contacted the seller and asked
if he knew what might have caused it, i got a hasty 'talk to you later and
have a nice day' kind of response. i took it in for a cla (and actually
bumped into the seller at the repair shop!), and have had no problems
since. i noticed that now the same seller always has gear cla'd *before*
putting it up for auction and announces that in the item description.

like steve, i've also bought stuff from luggers and find it is always as
advertised if not better. personally, i'd gladly buy again from a lug
member, but would probably not buy another body or lens through ebay,
unless that m2 i've been dreaming of can be had for a song!

guy