Subject: Re: [Leica] Film question
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:25:33 EST

In a message dated 10/31/00 9:13:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mzeissle@gcipoa.gannett.com writes:

<< I think Royal Gold 100 is too vivid, producing ruddy skin tones, but have
 not yet tried Supra 100.  Nor have I tried Reala or Superia recently. >>

    For general purpose work with humans and their events, I have found
Superia 400 to be very acceptable and widely available.  Contrast is low
enough to enable use with strobe.  I have used it on the same shoot with pro
films such as Fuji NPH 400 and Kodak Portra 400 NC, for comparison purposes,
with EOS L zooms.  Close enough for jazz, as they say, at about 1/2 the
price, if you buy the package of 4x24.
    For a bit more contrast and saturation, try Superia 200.  Either way,
best results I have obtained are from minilabs using Fuji paper and charging
a premium for adjusting filtration on each print, where necessary.  Still
much cheaper and quicker than a custom lab, and quite acceptable for those
group or family events requiring only 4R or 5x7 enlargements.

Joe Sobel