Subject: Re: [Leica] Just a thought
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 18:20:13 -0500

> This is not to say that I have a grudge against digital photography, well
> to the contrary. But the above should be an element of thought for
> everyone who invests in the digital route (especial digital capturing).
> One has to see the *full picture*.

Pascal,
Indeed. It's easy to say "but it only costs this amount for an X computer, a
Y scanner, a Canon D30, and an Epson 1270, and then you're up and running
with the same equipment Michael Reichmann uses." But in three years Michael
will have moved two generations onward--with each of those types of
equipment--and all his equipment will work well together because it will all
be new--whereas you will be...where? You have the choice of using outmoded
equipment, or losing most of your investment in it and replacing it with a
fresh investment.

It's easy now to say "but the image quality is good; I'll still be satisfied
with this equipment in three years." If that's the case, consider: would you
be satisfied now with technology from three years _ago_?

I'm certainly not arguing against digital here. It's definitely the
technology of the future, and the future is virtually here if you can afford
it. It makes great sense for many people, including those who do their jobs
with it and those who are simply well-heeled. And it's beautiful! Piezo
prints on Somerset paper are really nice. And although I love workprinting,
and the fine-printing process is a significant recreation for me, developing
film ranks somewhere between cooking and cleaning the bathroom...and I'm not
a good cook....<g>

I think my laziness might get me in the end. But I do hope I have the guts
to stick with classic 35mm black-and-white.

- --Mike