Subject: [Leica] Tripods versus Sandbags on the Serengeti
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 08:17:36 -0400

...as a veteran of backpacking on the Serengeti (to my knowledge this is not
allowed in Ngoro Ngoro), I say go for it!  As to taking long-lens photos
from your vehicle...rather than a tripod, I suggest the use of a beanbag or
sandbag to rest the lens while shooting, it's a lot easier than manipulating
a tripod.  I carry a couple of draftsman's leather sandbags (probably as
obscure today as slide rules, but they may be obtained from your friend in
petroleum field exploration if you can abide her company logo)  to rest an M
and 135 when I am uncertain of my own stability.

	Buzz Hausner