Subject: Re: Re [Leica] Classic M6 or M6 TTL - which do you prefer
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:09:08 -0700

><Snip> -fuss highly portable flash for limited purposes.
>
> If I recall correctly (and it was a while ago) I was responding to a
> post which said that the SF20 was too small to be really useful for a
> lot of things AND that therefore the TTL function of the M6TTL isn't
> useful. My point was simply that the SF20 isn't the only compatible
> flash for the TTL & if you need something bigger there are equally
> "foolproof" TTL-compatible alternatives. I wasn't dismissing the SF20
> itself for the uses it is built for, just the implication that the
> usefulness of the M6's TTL flash circuitry is tied somehow to the
> specifications of Leica's proprietary flash.
>
> Regards.
>
> Simon Stevens

Here's how I see it:
With the sun behind a person you could use it close in I'd guess 4 feet max with
100 film.
A moody rainy day like today you could pull back a couple more feet.
The Mecablitz 32 Z-2 (which i have) with TTL shoe makes for a couple more feet
on top of that.
Actally it's gotta be a stop or two brighter. And if it was two stops thats
twice the distance.
Outdoors getting a full length shot with a normal lens is just maybe possible on
a less than cloudy bright day. Not with an SF20 I shouldn't think. With a sync
speed of 50 a tiny flash is good for indoor stuff or even a night shot. Not too
far away it it's not dark out.
Mark rabiner