Subject: [none]
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:21:04 +0200

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 20:29:02 +0200
From: "Tim Spragens" <info@borderless-photos.com>
Subject: [Leica] What's a photographer worth?
The following is an extract from a solicitation
that I received for usage of some photos in a
book billed as a "Professional Photography
Series":

"As an educational book, the budget is pitifully
small and usually we do not pay pictures fees
but 'pay' instead in complimentary copies of the
books. However, for images we particularly need
or want we can pay a small amount (usually
around £40) for selected images."

What would be your reaction to such a
solicitation?

Tim S.
<<<<<<<<<<<<

The same old story. EP is the place for this kind of discussion, but
basically, nobody ever has any money to pay photographers. We should all be
happy happy happy to be getting a complimentary cappuccino for our work.
I was once asked to do an entire book (text + photography) for 1500 US (it
would have had about 200 images). Of course I was supposed to do it because
it's such a privilege to get my crap photos in print.
I'd just tell them to go away, but in the end it's your decision.
It's nice to be published, but what're you going to say: "look at this
really nice picture of mine in this here book - of course they didn't pay
me anything for it..."
Rob.
Robert Appleby
V. Bellentani 36