Subject: Re: [Leica] Holy memory
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 09:35:51 +0100

>[snip]
>A couple of points pop to mind. First, Nancy Rexroth did a very fine book in
>the '70s ('60s??) called _Iowa_ with a plastic toy camera that had a
>single-element lens made of plastic. And some of the pictures were great,
>and the book was great and so influential that a whole raftload of
>photographers copied her and the others who were working with that toy
>camera, and it got to be a fad. The fad is long gone now, but guess what? At
>least a few of the photographers who tried the toy camera when it was a fad
>_also_ took good pictures with it. I'm sorry my memory is so holy that I
>don't remember more of their names offhand.
>[snip]
>--Mike

mike,

she used a diana to produce that book, and the fad that it launched is not
entirely over. pick up a magazine called 'shots.' it tends to feature a
fair amount of work produced using 'alternative' cameras - from toy cameras
to pinhole cameras - along with more conventional camera types.

as a matter of fact, there was an interview with rexroth in 'shots' a year
or two ago, and she talks at length about working with the diana, the
'iowa' project, etc. if you're interested, ask and i'll hunt up the issue
and send on the details.

guy