Subject: Re: [Leica] Recipe for leica glow?
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 09:12:15 +0100

>> There is no Leica glow...
>[snip]
>well, I disagree to a certain extent. I know the glow when I see it and I
>can get it with any of the following (these are just the ones I've seen it
>in):
>
>pre asph 35/1.4
>50/1.4 (second computation)
>Skinny TE 90
>Canon 28/2.8 LTM
>Canon 35/2 FD
>
>You use them wide open or one stop closed, especially in high contrast
>environments, and it's there. The use of silver rich emulsions gives you a
>richness in the grays that more modern emulsions don't have. As to the rest
>I don't know because the glow is right there on the negs when scanned. It's
>partly halation, partly coma, partly flare, partly spherical aberration,
>partly the shape of the film's response curve... it's a lot of stuff,
>really. It's a 'look'. Thankfully it's so overdetermined that (a) you can't
>fake it in Photoshop (b) Erwin doesn't think it exists.
>
>Ultimately I do prefer the look of the more modern lenses.
>
>Johnny Deadman

johnny,

you can add the ltm summarit to the list. wide open or at f/2 it can
produce either really flat or really creamy, 'glowing' images depending on
the lighting, background, tonal range of the subject, etc. i agree that
it's probably more a product of shortcomings on the part of the older
lenses than of any secret recipe, but, like you, i can definitely see it
and appreciate it when it works right.

i also prefer modern lenses, and use them exclusively on my m6, reserving
the older glass for my iiif. i continue to shoot with both of them, and get
stuff i like from both.

guy