Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Mary Ellen
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:43:54 -0400

Laura -

 From the book "The Photo Essay" by Mary Ellen Mark:
"Mark usees both 35mm and 2 1/4 inch formats, depending on the
situation.  A portrait, she finds, often requires a 2 1/4 inch format
camera, either a Hasselblad or a Rolleiflex, while for a situation that
involves rapid shooting she relies on her 35mm Leicas and
Nikons.  Fora  magazine assigment she will often shoot as many as 200 rolls
of film, then later carefully edit her selection to about 40
photographs.  From these the magazine will select from eight to ten
pictures.  In her own work Mark prefers black and white to color, using
color only if she feels it heightens reality."

You can borrow the book the next time you are home.  :-)

Mom

At 11:30 PM 10/23/00 -0400, you wrote:
>This is a bit off topic.....
>   I have just been exposed to some of Mary Ellen Mark's work in the book,
>"Mary Ellen Mark, 25 Years", and am absolutley fascinated with her
>photographs (I know it's a bit late for me to just now "discover" her,
>but hey, I'm only 20 :-) ).  I was wondering if anyone could tell me what
>kind of cameras she has been using most of her life.  Any other
>information about her is welcome as well :-)
>Thanks!
>-Laura Manley
>-Muzenchi-
>E-mail: muzenchi@juno.com