Subject: Re: [Leica] Candid weddings in black-and-white
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 14:43:33 -0700

Simon Stevens wrote:

> >My advice if you want to do this sort of thing professionally is, find
> >wedding for which the couple has already hired a standard professional
> >wedding photographer, and offer to do an "artistic" candid book for
> free.
>
> Michael:
>
> This is a really nice idea. I have been thinking I'll need to do
> something similar since most of my current portfolio, even the casdid
> stuff, is in color. But I hadn't quite thought of that approach. Thanks.
> It also might give me a good way to get impartial feedback, since the
> couple won't have paid.
>
><Snip>
The only thing worse when you are shooting a wedding than a bunch of Yahoo's
with sure shots as is usually the case is another professional photographer.
(They usually have better gear than you do and or infrared or some BS angle)
It's a slight and there goes your print sales.
Perhaps now with everyone scanning everything at the office print sales are less
figured into it.
Two photographers are like two Priests or Rabbis at a wedding. A pretentious one
too many.
I've had other photographers at MY weddings about three times. Always a
disenchanting experience.
Let the guy do his job or get someone who can.
He/she needs to be Artsy as WELL as crafty; that's photography.
Most importantly they need to be someone who is not going to single handedly
ruin your wedding by turning it into a media event!
Mark rabiner

Replies: Reply from "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com> (Re: [Leica] Candid weddings in black-and-white)