Subject: Re: [Leica] FOMy Leicas
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 14:22:58 -0700

Hi Paul,
One really must be careful when deciding "what constitutes a Leica?"  Is the
work to be restricted to RF type only or is the name on the camera what
counts?  I mean, there are some folks here only Leica SLR equipped, are they
excluded?  I think not, simply because a Leica is a Leica, is a Leica
regardless of model. Hopefully this wont open a big can of worms deciding
whether the SLR  is or isn't part of the leica family for FOM II submissions.

And I realize with all respect, the value of making this project completely
Leica cameras only.  However, in reality one might find the number of entries
scaled back by a Leica owning photographer who also pops frames on another
manufacturer's machine

I suppose we have to be trusted that what we enter was taken on a Leica camera
of some kind and it's only the "trust factor" that will determine Leica or
no.  Simply because in shooting the general types of  FOM subjects, I think
I'd be safe in saying that hardly a person could tell the difference once a
print was made. (god don't start!)

This poses an interesting situation, but I think the ruling is somewhat
restrictive certainly if it eliminates Leica SLR'S, and I can't imagine it
would. The bottom line is the photographer will just have to wear the guilt if
he or she submits images from a Canon, Nikon or other woolly camera, then
claiming it's a Leica.

On the other hand, if it's the most smashing picture in the world and everyone
is in awe and Leica think it's the greatest thing since sliced whatever. It
will be accepted as a Leica shot if it's submitted as a Leica shot. Even if
from a, I think the name is,  "Holga"? ;-)  If it's a great photograph and
people believe it to be Leica taken, it's not likely anyone is going to care
nor tell anyway.

I realize this is cheating, however it isn't the most truthful world we live
in and certainly advertising and computer manipulating is a some what form of
"cheating everyday we open our eyes."   No it isn't right, but then if it were
always right we'd have a perfect world wouldn't we. Have you looked lately?

This is Alastair's project and  for those who wish to play, then they play by
coach Alastair's rules. And that's fair enough for me, as I intend to play
hard on this photo team! And I have no thoughts about the group not winning
this one in a  first class manner!
ted

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> ([Leica] how many luggers...? [was: FOMy Leicas])
Reply from "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com> (Re: [Leica] FOMy Leicas)