Subject: Re: [Leica] Where does Leica make its point and shoot cameras?
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:01:20 -0700

The original Mini Zoom was more truly a re-badged matsushita camera, which
was sold under the Vivitar Series 1 name in the US and Panasonic in Europe.
If I recall correctly, the original Mini was also sold as a Minolta.  Now, I
guess it can be argued whether Leica did the lens computations, and I heard
that the coatings may have been different, QC higher on the Leica models,
and possibly different AE algorithims.  Don't get me wrong, these were great
little P&S's.  I gave one of the Vivitar Series 1 cameras similar to the
Mini Zoom to my step son.  When he came home from college and put his snaps
up on his bulletin board, I walked up and pointed out which ones were taken
with his camera and which were from others.  He was surprised!

Tom