Subject: TTL shutter speed dial (was RE: [Leica] LHSA meeting)
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 07:54:31 -0700

>From: John Collier [mailto:jbcollier@home.com]
>
>...that the taller
>top plate of the TTL accommodates a small spur gear which
>allows a larger
>shutter dial. Why Leica did not put in a another gear to keep
>the correct
>shutter speed orientation is beyond me but, fortunately, I am young and
>malleable and able to adjust.

My understanding was that the designers wanted the new of rotation to match
the meter arrows in the finder.  Because the dial is larger and more easily
manipulated with the camera at eye level, they felt this change would make
operation more fluid.  Not having a TTL (yet) I can't say if they were right
or wrong, but I do know that changing the shutter speed of my classics with
the camera at my eye does feel a bit counter-intuitive and fiddly.

Paul