Subject: Re: [Leica] LHSA meeting
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 07:47:39 -0700

Emanuel Lowi wrote:

> John, yes, the third  LED in the finder is easier to use, as is the larger speed
> dial. But this means all the electronics are incompatible with older cameras, as is
> the internal shutter dial hardware. The feeling was that for really minimal
> advantage, two major sets of internal parts were changed and the circuits,
> especially, have become somewhat unreliable, overly battery dependent and make the
> camera larger (with mostly aesthetic impact).
>
> Dan, Leica went backwards when they re-introduced the M4 after the evolutionary
> tangent that was the M5. Nothing foolish about that. Leica neither looks foolish for
> re-introducing the "O" - I understand this has been received with the most excitement
> of any new product in years.
>
> Emanuel Lowi
> Montreal

I spent some time with an older Gentleman Mr. Hazeltine (I think perhaps in his
90's) who's camera of choice was a Leica 1 from the 30's. He made good use of
the camera and was an inspiration to watch and talk to. He would pull the camera
out of his sport jacket pocket and get the shot.
And an expert collector.
His daughter Candace though used an M5 with Noctilux completely blackened down!
I did a shot of both their cameras on the table next to each other. A nice contrast!
To the left of the Leica 1 was a nice glass of Samuel Adams dark beer, to the
right of the Leica M5 was a pale ale.
A study in opposites!
mark rabiner