Subject: [Leica] RE-wedding candids
From: Tristan Tom <Tt@Tristan.NET>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 22:21:36 -0700

I've recently shot a wedding this way (ie. photojournalistically) and
have found that invariably, the couple and or family members will
want at least some posed shots. I've tried to market myself as a
'candids only' photographer, and every client always says that they
will want 'just a few' posed shots (which usually turns out to be at
least 2 full rolls). I think it always pays off in the end to spend
at least half an hour doing posed semi-formal shots.

In fact, it truly saved me in the last wedding I shot because I had
missed the kiss! I was running as fast as I could during the ceremony
to try to get the shot, but I missed it!

Luckily, I had the bride and groom kiss during the posed picture
session and since these were done in the same location as the
ceremony, this shot of them kissing cuts into the ceremony shots
quite nicely. This sure saved my butt!

In general though, I agree that photojournalistic shots are much more
fun to shoot and yield neat results. You may need long lenses though
like the 135...

Tristan Tom
<http://tristan.net/photo/>

<<
I'm thinking about changing the way I do weddings for my business. I
really don't like doing all the dumb groups and it's frustrating herding
disinterested people around like a sheepdog while all the interesting
photographic opportunities are elsewhere. I'm wondering what experience
people on the list might have marketing candids-only wedding
photography? I'd like to do it in black and white if possible, and
hopefully take the marketing (and the pricing) a little upmarket to
distinguish myself from the high street wedding crowd.

Finally, maybe you might like to take a look at some pictures along
these line which I took at a wedding reception last weekend. The address
for the quickie page I have placed them on is:
http://www.camera-craftsman.com/wedding

Thanks!

Simon Stevens>>