Subject: Re: [Leica] Snaps
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:31:35 -0400

I always thought that good photography should *aspire* to the status of the
snapshot. What I mean is, it looks easy, but like a swan gliding gracefully
across a lake, its little feet are paddling frantically. I really hate
pictures that say 'look how difficult I was to take!'. I'd much rather have
something that looked casual, and then as you looked at it it unfolded to
you like a flower.

on 18/10/00 10:05 am, Ted at tedgrant@home.com wrote:

> Ian Stanley wrote:
>
>> <<<<<<<Ted, Mike & all,
>>
>> I always thought that "snaps" was a great word!  One of my favourite
>> activities is "cruising for snaps"!!<<<<<<<<
>
> Hi Ian,
> I never  had a  problem with the term "snaps."  After all, when your mom calls
> them snaps how can you argue with her? ;-) And on top of that, she thinks your
> the worlds greatest photographer! Why argue. :-)
>
> On one assignment which I was, for a change being ....paid very well...... I
> used the "snaps" term in conversation with the CEO,  much to my surprise he
> took
> offense and wanted to know why they were paying me big dollars  for "taking a
> few snaps?"   So I had to explain I used it in a joking manner.
>
> However, in the future with the guys paying the bill I never used "snaps"
> again!  Best to call it "artistic endeavors!" Sounds more worldly, then they
> think they're getting a special event. ;-) But in reality don't we all just do
> "snaps with our Leica's?" :-)

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com