Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: dry & wet darkroom :-()-:
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:27:29 -0400

Tina Manley jotted down the following:

> Have you seen a piezography print?

I don't know.  Does it matter?  I wouldn't have thought that my seeing a
piezography print changes the nature of the process.

> It's possible to make identical prints, if you want to; but it's possible to
> make identical prints in the darkroom, too, if you are careful.

Is it?  I would argue that there are too many variables that cannot be/are
not controlled, such as exact temperature of chemical baths, exact amount of
residue from previous prints, exact agitation pattern, exact time in baths,
exact coating of paper, darkroom humidity, air quality in drying room, etc.,
etc., etc.

The default for piezography, ink-jets, or similar processes, is that each
print is the same.  You have to work to get them different.

The default for traditional darkroom processes is that each print is subtly
different.  You have to work to get them the same.

In purchasing products, we pay for consistency and similarity.  In
purchasing art, we pay for uniqueness.  Funny world, isn't it ;)

M.

- --
Martin Howard               | "...key features are the distinctive rear
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU | lighting clusters that make the Maserati
email: howard.390@osu.edu   | 3200GT instantly recognizable to anyone
www: http://mvhoward.i.am/  | overtaken by it."  -- Maserati sales lit.