Subject: [Leica] Re: FOMing at the mouth
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 20:43:43 -0700

On 16 Oct 2000, Dante Stella wrote, at least in part:

> Dave is right.  Why not something new that thinks outside of the
> FOM box (probably conceived by some clever editor anyway).  It's a
> romantic concept to ruminate about bringing back some past glory,
> but one that's been done (oh, wait, that's the Null-Series).  Why
> not enjoy taking some good pictures and selecting from them and
> having a nice site that showcases the various talents of group
> members?

That, Dante, is exactly what will be done! Ruminating about
what what was done will not be the thrust. It is the publication
factor for the public's viewing that makes this different from a
"nice site" which we probably have too many of already.

> Even the use of the FOM name gives everyone an inferiority
> complex.  Why go nuts living in the shadow of HCB and others?
> Life is too short to worry about taking a picture because "it
> won't live up to x, y or z."  The only significant pictures you
> can take are of things to which you are a witness.  HCB (or any
> professional) was paid for what he did, and that's how he got to
> the places where he did his work.  In the same way everyone
> wonders why they can never get travel Kodachromes like National
> Geographic does.  Easy answer: if you had six weeks (or months) to
> get that volume of pictures, there would be little excuse for you
> to come away with nothing good enough to grace at least a
> text-dominated NG page.

Rubbish! I can't fathom why some are fretting over an inferiority
issue. Nothing of the sort is intended or will eventuate.

The fact that the pros of yesteryear were preeminent in the field
of photography and were paid for getting to the far flung areas
to do their photography is what was. The participants in this list
are from all over already, and have a 'leg up' in photographing
that with which they're familiar and comfortable.

You're right in that we don't have 6 weeks or 6 months to get
that volume of pictures, we have 5 YEARS! I'll wager that many
here will produce chromes as technically good, and with equal
or better subject material as National Geographic. Today, the
interested and competent amateur has, at his disposal, the
same tools and techniques as the pros. The only thing that he
lacks is the commercial experience and monetary incentive.
Alastair's challenge *can* provide the incentive if we accept it.
This is a savvy lot that *can* also make up the experience
difference in short order.

Forget competing with FOM. FOMII should turn out to be an
update and extension to FOM. If it succeeds, it will illustrate
what changes man and his environment has undergone in 50
years. And, if it is compared to FOM, all the better. When did
well intentioned and friendly competition become passe? C'mon,
man (the species), hitch up your trousers and skirts and accept
the assignment!

> Besides, from some of the pictures I've seen of him at work, HCB
> used Canon IVSB bodies anyway.

Don't understand the significance of this statement. We've all
used other equipment at times. The fact is that HCB used the
Leica as his predominant tool of choice.

Enough of this effete attitude!

- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org