Subject: Re: [Leica] Pet Peave (OT)
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 18:28:06 -0700

Roger,

Like misspelling, bad grammar, and American jargon (hopefully, deroading,
where is it at, and innumerable other gems) all-caps has invaded the
electronic mail and will be part of the computer scene.

The problem is not so much that is faster to type (it is), unfortunately
most people don't give a damn how their message - oral or written - is
perceived by the recipient.

Here are a few "humdingers".

UP, DOWN, IN, OUT, OFF, IN, etc.
I drive a car with 50,000 miles "on it".  "On it" where, on the roof?
My Visa card is "maxed out".
We ate it all "up".
We ate it all "down"
We really packed it "in"
It will take at least two hours to digest it "off".
Come "on in"
"Take out a loan"  (where, to the movies?)
I'm "into" photography.
The house burned "down".
I am all "fired up".
I don't know what is wrong with my car, "I had it in to the dealer"......
The Costal Commission refused to "sign off" on the update because.......
I will not "put-up" with you.
They "put-in" for vacation.
I "put-off" "getting married
I "put one over" on him.
I "put myself out" for you.
I put the shelf "up".
She "puts out".
"To be put upon".
She "put together" a report.
We are a "put down" society.
The building "sits" next to the.. is or is located

"Get": Another verb ridiculously misused.
(Get means to obtain, to acquire)
"Get a handle on the situation"
"Get off my back".
I "get off " on music.
I "got called" on the carpet.
"They got married".
"Get" closer.
"Get" out.
"Get with it".
"Getting to know you".
We "got together" at their house.
When do I "get to" see you".

Other American English gems
The reason is "is" she could not go.
"You can go with him and I".
The waitress asks me: "Are you finished?" or are you "through" ? (Usually I
reply: Do I look that old)
"He "sacrificed himself" all his life.  (To sacrifice oneself is to commit
suicide).
"He has a book out".
Where is she "at"?
When you are

The use of exaggerations and superlatives is an American phenomenon:
The Dodgers "blasted" the Orioles 6 to 1.
The Giants "trounced" the 49ers.
I liked the shirt but the price "blew me away".
The door "flew" open.
The bomb "blew up" at dawn.
We were "inundated" or "swamped" with orders.
Before buying my BMW, I went "trough" two Ford, a Chevy and a motorcycle.

And here is my all-time favorite uttered by a merchant telling the story of
a woman who visited his store...: "I had a lady yesterday come in and.." My
immediate question is: Was she good?

The misuse of conjunctions:
The bread is best when hot "and also" buttered.

Compound words (compound words show the limitations of a language)
Chairman, chairwoman, now chair (how ugly).

Nouns made into verbs
The agenda was "tabled".
The car was "trailered" to the shop.

Metaphors (graciously contributed by the Telegram Tribune on a daily basis)
We "hit the road" at dawn.
He and I are just "hanging out"
"Heat gets me down".
"I am the end of my rope".
She came apart at the seams.
He got cold feet at the altar.
The dog kicked the bucket.
Don't sell yourself short.
To talk turkey  (it must be the result of being "chicken").
I was beside myself (great magic trick).
He threw in the towel.

I was downsized out of my job (heard on a National Public Radio program).

Finally, here is one ON TOPIC
I "ran" a roll of film through the camera and had it "one-houred".

Please, please don't "get" me started on spelling........

Joe Codispoti

From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>