Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R4 Opinions
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 13 Oct 2000 13:32:59 -0700

On Fri, 13 October 2000, "Thomas G. Tamura" wrote:

> Aloha,
>
> I have thought about getting into a Leica R system and would like your
> opinions on the R4 bodies - all versions.  The only thing I have read that
> has stuck in my mind is to get a late model R4 because of numerous problems
> with the electronics in earlier R4's.
>
> I have settled on the R4 strictly based on cost.  It would be nice to get a
> R8, but that would not leave me any money for lenses!
>
> I am sure this topic has been covered before, so please feel free to reply
> to me privately.
>
> Mahalo, ttamura@aloha.net

Thomas,

IMHO, of the R4-series cameras (R4, R4s, R4sP) the R4sP is the most desirable because of its improved weatherproofing and (especially) idiot-proofing.  It's harder to bump switches & stuff off the intended settings.  It does not have the R4's Shutter-priority and Program modes.  Both the R4s and R4sP were built after the electronic problems of the R4 were fixed and there have never been any problems with them like the early R4 bodies had.  Either of these is a safe bet, as is any R4 with s/n above 1,600,000.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.