Subject: Re: [Leica] Gimme a break?
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:25:09 -0400

>> likely to do is to waste a lot of time and effort and come up
> with a motley
>> collection of crap that collectively adds up to nothing. And,
> if I may be so
>
> Good to have the early reviews coming in over coffee. This must
> be how the morning after opening night feels - off Broadway.
>
>> bold, I would venture to suggest that the brilliant core
> concept will, er,
>> occur to others...in fact, doubtless already has. Others, that
> is, who have
>> far better resources to bring it off. Such as a museum--for
> instance, the
>
> I'd venture a guess that our collective resources, if focused,
> are not shabby.
>
>> institution that did it the first time. Anyway, I think the
> whole thing was
>> a dubious concept 45 years ago, and that in any event, its time
> has
>> emphatically passed. The original had a lot to do with the
> ideas of Albert
>> Schweitzer being current at the time, ideas that, to put it
> mildly, seem
>> quaint today.
>
> With the resurgence of retro design, "quaint" may just work.
>
> George

Well yeah, "quaint" may work. If you were to take the "pulse" of Western
culture you will find that the arts in general is now a huge industry. For
some insight into this, I highly recommend reading David Brooks' BOBOS in
Paradise - The New Upper Class and How They Got There. This book traces the
history of two classes, the 'Bourgeois' and 'Bohemians' all the way back to
the 17th century and their merging in current times. ART is now a very BIG
thing.

Steve
Annapolis

http://www.streetphoto.net