Subject: Re: [Leica] Luna Pro Digital
From: Douglas Cooper <douglas@metaversalstudios.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:07:50 -0400

At 12:01 AM 10/10/00 -0700, you wrote:

> > Get a digital Gossen Luna Pro digital. It has so many great features,
> > you'll be amazed. ... Super meter,

A nice meter.  I used it for a bit, but marginally prefer the Luna Star F2
- -- more robust construction, and I prefer the feel of the buttons.  Also, a
swivelling head, which makes incident readings *much* easier.  But it's
pricier, and a bit larger.  Either meter is good.

Of course, the traditional choice is the Luna Pro SBC.  I miss mine --
astonishing low-light sensitivity.  But it's bulky, fragile, and a bit
awkward to handle -- also, the dials sometimes turn on you without your
noticing, which can be a disaster.  Still, there's nothing like it for
available darkness.

I've thought of getting a Pilot or a Scout, just for the sheer
portability.  Mind you, the Luna Pro Digital isn't much larger.

Avoid the Meter of the Moment -- the Sekonic L-508.  Silly combination of
features:  a virtually useless spot meter (not enough sensitivity to meter
shadows); waterproof case (which is laudable, except the meter's too large
for anything but studio use); absolutely nothing else of interest, except
the dial that replaces buttons -- a nice touch, but not worth a few hundred
dollars.

This meter seems popular with camera salesmen...

cheers,

Douglas Cooper