Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V18 #82
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 22:44:45 -0400

Well, Thomas and all my fellow LUGers who think that photographers banding
together against the likes of Corbis would make a difference, let me tell
you a little story...

At some point in the mid-to-late 70s - for give me for forgetting the
details here - the members of the Newspaper Guild - reporters, editors, ad
salesmen, clerks, etc. - at the Washington Post had been working for some
time without a contract, the old one having expired. We wanted to go out on
strike, but knew that it was highly unlikely we'd be supported by the other
unions, whose picket lines we had crossed during an earlier strike.

But some genius in the Guild came up with the concept of "with holding our
excellence-" We would simply all stay home and how could "they" possibly put
out the paper, or at least the same high quality product WE produced every
day, the one all the subscribers expected.

So without officially calling a strike, we "with held our excellence." And
about two weeks later we all came crawling back to work - because very few
people noticed our absence, and even fewer noticed the lack of quality in
the paper, which was filled with wire copy and copy written by upper level
editors.

The moral of the story, sadly, is that excellence rarely means squat to any
put those producing it.

Photographers withholding their "excellence" from Corbis? In the first
place, Corbis already has more stock photos than God. And in the second, if
Big Bill Gates were to take 1500 of next June's high school grads, give them
each a pair of Nikon D1s with a couple zooms and a few weeks training, he
could replace all the "excellent" photographers and no one but the
photographers and their friends would know the difference.

Am I saying that any monkey can push the button? Not really. What I'm saying
is that the average person doesn't know the difference between the monkey
and Sabastio Salgado, and could care less.

B. D.
in a pessimistic mood.