Subject: Re: [Leica] Jupiter 3 (1.5/50 ) review
From: watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net (Stanislaw B.A> Stawowy)
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 01:18:28 Lizbona/Warszawa - czas zimowy 0100

Hello from St. (He is unstoppable! )

Long, long time ago in a galaxy far far away, Marc James Small
<msmall@roanoke.infi.net> sat at his typewriter and screamed:

>Ah, and I should do so, if there were 70-hour days and 15-day weeks!
Oh please! please! I want a review! Please! (I want a IIIc also! I have
a birthday by 16th of October! (24! getting old... ) Is here anyone
enoughly rich who wants to sponsor me? I can even wear a T-shirt
with his company logo when photographing :-)))

> Which factory made this lens?
Ivan Pierced Eye (ouch! I have  contact lenses..) - Krasnovodsk? Kharkow?

>Quality Control is always an issue with
>hand-assembled lenses and, to this day, the SPS world uses hand-assembled
>production methods.
But how nobilitating is to have a hand assembled lens performing well!
None of nouveauriche with their M6TTL and TriElmar can say so! :-)

> I love my late Jupiter-3 but I admit a few of the earlier ones I have owned
> have been a bit rough.
My exemplaire is made from hard alluminium and I was ia little disappointed
at the beginning. Also no-click-stops diaphragm takes time to get used to.
I tried some Jupiters before I bought this one; I think that now quality control
is a lot better than then - now they have a BIG demand from us :-)

> The only SPS lens I have consistently seen problems
> with, though, is the 2/85 Jupiter-9
Which problems? I'm interested in details.
Jupiter 9 takes a lot of time to get used to; this is a good portrait lens,
but I had not really good image when not stopped to f/8 or so.
But in near future I will try out some of them (new arrivals,
priced at 35$ or so, also this is my friend's used cameras shop...)
Now I took a uncoated "fat" Elmar 4/90 from him for a weekend,
so I have a toy for while :-)

> I would estimate that 1/3 of the
> production were dogs, while MOST of the other lenses are much better in
> terms of quality.
You are right. What is interesting that there are dogs and stars and a little between.
If Jupiter is good, it is a prize lens, if is bad - then it is very bad. My friend have
on display in his shop a Jupiter12 which has this unusual rear element TILTED
by some 20-30 degrees! Looks very funny....

									St.
PS
I wear L size T-shirts... <g>