Subject: Re: [Leica] Steady as she goes there, lad [y]
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 07:39:51 -0700

gbicket wrote:

> Good morning LUG,
>
> >From the start, I confess I am moderately indisposed to using
> tripods--meaning that I do use them, but only when I don't think I can get
> the result I want without one, or using anything longer than the f4 280mm,
> and quite often with that lens.
>
> Went to the Really Right Stuff site this morning, and found an interesting
> quote:
>
> "Handholding is strictly for dead photographers:  A human pulse beat will
> cause 200 microns (.008 inch) displacement for 1/10th of a second.  Assuming
> a shutter speed of 1/250th of a second, this movement alone will cause a
> loss of 22% of resolution with a system capable of reproducing 100 lines per
> mm (lpm).  And at a shutter speed of 1/125th of a second, this performance
> would degrade to only 53 lpm--a 47% waste of of what you purchased."  John
> B. Williams, Lens Clarity, page 191<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Greg,

Thank you for the "start your day with humour column this morning! ;-)

Obviously this piece of silliness by "Mr. John B. Williams," Lens Clarity,<<<<
was written in a moment of a very large failure in his mental capacity of
intelligence!  It's the kind of nonsense written by pie in the sky theory folks
that scares the hell out of young folks embarking on the great journey in the
fun of photography!

Hell this guy isn't of the real world and for any of  us to pay more than a
"laughing moment at it's stupidity" is a great waste of time.  Damn I wish these
theory people would stay out of the realm of photography and let photographers
just have fun doing what they love best....... taking damn pictures!

Right it off as nothing more than hogwash!
ted