Subject: [Leica] Re: R8 replacement - Leica going digital
From: Cummer Family <cummer@asiaonline.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 08:27:44 +0800

Dear LUGGERS,
Please check out Moose Peterson's review of the Nikon D1
http://www.naturephotographers.net/nikond1.html
I know Moose is a great advocate for Nikon but what he has to say about the
usefulness of a digital camera to a professional photog is certainly food
for thought!
Wouldn't it be great for all us Leica lovers if Leica teamed up with
someone (Nikon/ Fuji) to bring out a digital camera like the D1 which could
use Leica R lens and (perhaps too much to ask ) Leica M lenses. And at a
competitive price like the D1 (presently US$5,000 which will fall over
time) - not the price of the Leica S1. (Is the S1 still available? Schmidt
doesn't list it in its price list for Hong Kong)  Given the LUG chat about
inkjet / laser digital printing (which most Leica friends practice to some
degree) digital inputs are just a logical extension. Just as Nikon and
Canon produce film cameras and digital cameras at the same time, here would
be a chance for Leica to compete with a digital picture taking platform and
catch up on the technical development curve by providing a means of using
those wonderful Leica lenses we have all invested so much money in while
entering the digital age. In my view that might be a better application of
resources than bringing out a smaller R8 in two or three years time -
unless of course the new 8 also takes a digital back!
I am now off to my favorite photo store to look at the D1. :) I wonder if
the Canon digital would take R lenses with an adaptor. Hmmmm?
Cheers
Howard.

Replies: Reply from "Margaret Jeffcoat" <margaret01@excelonline.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: R8 replacement - Leica going digital)