Subject: [Leica] Kenya.... and managing photo risk
From: "Birkey, Duane" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 08:59:21 -0500

Tina...

Where will you be in Kenya??

I have some freinds there and could ask them about specific areas... I won't
guarantee they'll answer though... they travel a lot...  and they will
probably say that you should indeed be very careful. Much of sub-Sahara
Africa is dealing with a lot of upheaval and some very serious problems
these days.  Some areas like the Ivory coast which were relative safehavens
are becoming extremely dangerous.

I generally have 4 strategies when I go to higher risk areas...

One is to have a "body guard" that will stay close and make sure no one
pick-pockets anything as well as reduce the risk of an armed hold-up.....
Even though I really hate having someone follow me around....it's harder to
rob two people than one in a public place.  And if I must shoot in a higher
risk area that I am not familiar with.... it is better to have a second set
of eyes and a local guide anyhow.

Two is to avoid the highest risk areas of high risk areas.... most often you
won't be able to tell in the picture anyhow... so try to find areas around
the edges that are generally safer to be around... In Latin America I can
communicate easily with anyone (assuming they speak either speak Spanish or
English), that is extremely helpful as making a few freinds around the area
you are shooting makes it much more likely that they'll tell you who to
watch out for if the theives come around...  You can also ask store owners
if it is safe and where you be careful..... they are generally very
helpful..

Three is to assume that you will be robbed at some point...  so insure
everything for replacement value and make sure you know what your insurance
company requires to process the claim.
Pack extra bodies, batteries, lenses and film and leave them with your
luggage or somewhere so you will have a back-up kit if your primary kit gets
stolen.  Sure your back-up kit may get stolen.... but you've increased your
odds of having a useable kit anyway...

Four is to carry less EQ when in a high risk area...  If you are walking
around with 3 cameras around your neck, a photo vest and a big camera bag...
you will attract a lot more attention...  Granted a white person in
sub-Sahara Africa will attract a lot of attention anyhow.... as does a 6-2
gringo in rural Ecuador.....  but theives are always looking for a
profitable target and the more you display.... the more enticing the
target.....

I wrote a post to the lug a while back on my practical strategies of
shooting.... types of theives and how I deal or would deal with that.  It
should be in the archives somewhere....

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador