Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 for large format pancakes
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 19:11:03 -0700

Johnny Deadman wrote:

> I am waiting delivery of a 6x9 back for my super speed graphic 4x5 (also
> awaiting delivery), which has some old optar lenses. Maybe I should run a
> test... old lense & big film vs modern Leica glass and Delta 100... whaddya
> think?
> --
> John Brownlow

To me its a richness of tone that says a larger format image not sharpness.
When i print 35mm on 11x14 paper i make an 8x12 image.
It's an 8 times magnification. But from a 6x9 neg its a
3.5x magnification
and I think the emulsion on brownie film is thicker than 35mm film to begin with
as well.
A thicker emulsion spread out less than half as much!
And I think the emulsion on sheet film is thicker still
what else could explain the richness of highlights you get with sheet film?
But with Zeiss and Schneider and other amazingly excellent lenses and slower
films people think medium format is sharper than large format even with modern
large format lenses. I don't necessarily think that is true.
You can come up with some interesting balancing acts between small formats
emulation large and large emulating small.
Hand held large format intrigues me.
A Norman flash gun on a Speed Graphic or Linhof Technika or other rangefinder
Jimmy Olson camera.
Shooting lots of 4x5 Polaroids
the life of any gathering of people!
markwr