Subject: Re: [Leica] Feedback on Ricoh GR-1s
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:41:25 -0700

At 1:45 AM +0800 10/4/00, Dennis_Thong wrote:
>Hi everybody,
>
>Recently, heard and read some feedback about the Ricoh GR-1s. Most of them
>have very good comments about this camera and the performance of this 28mm
>f2.8 lens. However, minority sad the pictures were not that impressive for a
>compact camera at that price tag !
>
>I am now eyeing on it to the next compact camera in my bag besides the leica
>M6.
>
>Please send me comments about this camera and the performance of the lense.
>Thanks...
>
>Singapore Lugger,
>Dennis Thong.

Dennis,

The GR-1 that I've had for a few years has been excellent. As with most
very compact cameras, it exhibits a bit more flare than I like but the 1s
with the shade should help that a bit. The lens is equal to or better than
early 28 Elmarits in most respects, and is really second to none in the
compact camera genre.

The controls are better than on most compacts, and allow you (among other
things) to turn the flash off and leave it off. The main problem I've had
is that occasionally, I will turn it on inadvertently.

As for value; it really isn't very expensive compared with other cameras
that have lenses in its class and have metal bodies, and a fair degree of
manual control. In fact, it's one of the cheapest. Also the thinnest.

If you like the 28mm focal length, it's a winner all around.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com