Subject: Re: Link to Montana Fire TIFF File (Original) Re: [Leica] JPEG or TIFF
From: telyt560@cswebmail.com
Date: 3 Oct 2000 11:33:58 -0700

On Tue, 03 October 2000, John Coan wrote:

> Speaking of TIFF files, remember the Montana fire picture I posted a
> link to last week?  Well, I did some exploring and found a link buried
> in the Web site for the US Dept. of the Interior, Bureau of Land
> Management, Alaska Fire Service.  It was taken with a digital camera, so
> I figure this 5.6 MB TIFF file is the original format, and the best
> resolution of that picture we or anybody else is going to get.
>
> I wish I had a decent printer so I could make an "original" print and
> display it.
>
> If anyone is interested here is the link and instructions on how to
> download the picture.  The link is in an FTP directory so it's not as
> simple as most Internet files to retrieve.  Let me know if you have
> problems.
>
> Also, if anyone does get it who is a digital photography whiz how about
> posting to the group something about the quality of the original file.
> IOW, how good is it?  If I were to take the file to a service bureau and
> ask them to make an 11 x 14, would it look decent?  Or, should I stick
> to 8 x 10?
>
> To get it click on http://fire.ak.blm.gov/
>
> Then click on AFS FTP Site in the left frame.
>
> Then click on jmac
>
> The file name is elkbath.tif

John,

Ordinarily when I make an 8x10 print from an RGB file I expect photographic quality if I have an 18 MB file.

IMHO an 11x14 is out, and a 7x10 may be stretching the limits too far.  It's a fantastic image but having looked at the TIFF file I wouldn't expect photographic quality much bigger than 5x7.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.