Subject: [Leica] Leica R death
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:56:44 EDT

<<

I just don't understand these concerns about the R8 being too big.

To me it's just fine, and I'm only a little fella.

My hands measure 189mm from first wrist crease to tip of middle finger, with

a span of 200mm (someone's bound to recommend I get my DNA checked!). Your

hands?

Reflex lenses are bulky.  A little body like an R6.2 gets lost behind most

of them.  Not enough to hang on to.  An R8 is a good size handle for those

reflex lenses.

I don't know how R8 sales compare with R7 or previous bodies (be interested

to know), but perhaps the (reputed) slow sales result from its being a niche

product for a niche sector of the pro/serious amateur 35mm market.  If

someone in Solms thought the R8 was going to compete with Nikon and Canon

for sales volume, then they need to get their DNA checked!

Regards

Rick (my helicals are a bit twisted today) Dykstra>>

Hey folks,

I'm back from Photokina (great fun!) and catching up with my 1912 pieces of
email. Still, I can't help but to read the LUG!<g>

From what I hear:

The R8 sales are much greater than the R6.2. In my experience this has been
true and by Leica's records. However, they are nowhere near the M system as
might be expected. Still, I sell more R8's than the threads here would seem
to indicate...sometimes to my surprise. Usually the order is complete with
the suitable serial number range that the buyer will take and most time Leica
has accommodated these ranges.

The biggest "consumer optic" department at Leica is now binoculars btw. This
is the first year that this has happened to my knowledge. Interesting, no?

The R7 was not a huge seller either...at least until it was discontinued and
you couldn't get it. As with many things Leica, interest starts when they
stop making it. Just look at Titanium M prices now or even classic bodies.

cheers,
rich

PS- hey folks, I will be attending the LHSA meeting in Oct. (for the first
time) and I look forward to meeting many of you. Please say "hi" at the swap
meet if you are going so I can put some faces to the names.

Replies: Reply from "Jason Hall" <JASON@jbhall.freeserve.co.uk> (Re: [Leica] Leica R death)