Subject: Re: [Leica] Summarit take apart?
From: Disfromage@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 22:00:40 EDT

George,

I'd like to weigh in for the other side.  I think if you want to service your
lens, and have some mechanical ability you should go for it.  The worst thing
that can happen is that you'll have to send a box of parts to someone else to
reassemble.  I am speaking from experience.  I disassembled an M3 in order to
paint it.  I got it put back together with no left over parts and DAG did a
great job of correcting the few mistakes I made.  It was a terrific learning
experience and a lot of fun-it was fascinating to see what the interior of an
M camera looks like. There is almost no air space!  I suggest you get a copy
of Thomas Tomosy's Leica Repair Handbook.  He doesn't talk about the Summarit
directly, but does show how to work on other lenses, and has quite a bit of
general information that you might find useful.  Good luck, and let us know
what you decide to do.

Richard Wasserman