Subject: [Leica]Lens repair for Beer drinkers (was Summarit take apart)
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 23:50:00 GMT

A brief note on the comments below regarding lens repair:

A few short weeks ago after a couple of delightful Hacker-Pschorr weiss
beers I got to peering at an old Summicron R 50 that had been sitting in my
closet for years.  It had a greasy, sticky aperture, a ding in the rear
element and it looked like I had focused it with a pair of vise-grips.
Nonetheless it took pretty darn fine pictures.

Now I got to thinking (burp) that if I could only get that darn grease off
that little aperture thingy this would be one fine daily user.

Hell, it's just a lens and an old one at that...how complicated could it be
for a mechanical (hiccup) wizzard like me.  Hell, I've done valve
adjustments on a Mercedes fer crist sake!

In I dove with a passion and bravery unknown in smarter Leica owners...I
lovingly inspected and dis-assembled each peice, placing it carefully on a
white cloth in the precise order in which it was removed. (hey, what was
that little ball thingy that hit the floor...) Finally I reached the inner
sanctum.  The LENS ELEMENT CASING. I played with it for what seemed like a
half an hour (One more beer)

Eventually I realized that even a mechanical GENIUS like myself could not
pry apart the element casing. "I know when I am beaten, let's just put this
baby back together".  HA!  HA! I say HA!  Those devils in Wetzlar made a
lens that can only be built ONCE and any work done afterward must be
accompanied by pagan prayers.

Today I am enjoying my 50mm Summicron Loupe.

Heed the warnings of others...Let the Germans rebuild their own damn lenses!

Best Wishes
Dan States
Madison WI