Subject: Re: [Leica] Erwin, photographic technique
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 08:22:03 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

OK, here goes some flame bait:
I sold cameras twice in my life, for a total of about 4 years. For
two years, I worked in a full-time pro repair shop. (I only work on
my stuff and an occasional friend's now--no time or parts stock).
During these years, and also cuz I'm something of a geek, I met and
learned to know DOZENS of "Leica owners".....Please, if this DOESN't apply
to you, don't take offense!!!.....here's my perceptions of 90% of
Leica owners (today, not in 1962):

They never pull a camera out in a rough-and-tumble environment...in fact,
most don't frequent those environments.  They've never shot in the
rain (although Ms are pretty damn tight for an "unsealed" camera).
They've never been in a "pack" of press hounds (nor do I like it anymore)
They don't go in areas where discretion is advised (dark city alleys, skid
row, any redneck bar, trailer park family reunions)....where they might have
to move/run for their life, cameras and all.......

In short, they ONLY photograph where they are "absolutely" in control of
the situation.....and we know how rarely that happens on an assignment!!
(which is why I'm slacking at a university nowadays.......I've become
the 'parent-weekend-zoo-birthday-photographer'.....yuck........I.E., everything
I've accused others of doing.....and I, too, take my camera out on sunny days
for a drive in the park with a tripod and without skylight filters......
BUT IT WASN'T ALWAYS THIS WAY>>>>>>hehehehe......

Best to all,
Walt