Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Film at the Airport
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 03:22:32 -0400

Gwpics@aol.com jotted down the following:

> What really bugs the hell out of me at Heathrow (and Gatwick) is that they
> insist that my bag goes through the machine no matter how many times I ask
> for a hand search, and then they want it opened because they can't work out
> what is in it! Surely if someone is offering to let them search it by hand
> they should be grateful that the passenger has nothing to hide.

As far as I'm concerned, the people working security at airline check-ins
are there to protect me.  They are doing their job, doing what they can to
ensure that my ass gets to where it's supposed to be going, and not falling
in eight pieces out of the sky from 30,000ft over the Atlantic.  I always
make a point to be polite, co-operative, courteous, and understanding when
dealing with them: their's is a hell of a job.  They have to walk the fine
line between ensuring that they can find potentially dangerous items, in a
minimally disruptive way, and dealing with tired and often short-tempered
passengers.  I wouldn't want to trade with them for five minutes.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | eVolving      eMergent     eThereal
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | eNthusiasm    eVanescent   ePhemeral
email: howard.390@osu.edu         | eFficacious   eMbryolic    ePochal

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] OT: Film at the Airport)