Subject: Re: [Leica] Erwin, photographic technique
From: telyt560@cswebmail.com
Date: 1 Oct 2000 18:48:34 -0700

On Sun, 01 October 2000, "David W. Almy" wrote:

> Tina, All,
>
> A few points:
>
> The original question concerned maximizing 35 technique to obtain the
> best possible image. The responses have strayed a bit since.
>
> There are many, many photographs "take-able" with 35 that aren't
> possible with medium or large format equipment, even using tripods. As
> you know, there is no medium/large format equivalent to the 35/1.4 ASPH,
> or the 90/2 ASPH, or the 12 or 15 Cosinas, or the 280/2.8, etc.
>
> We must be very careful with this technical quality vs. aesthetic
> effectiveness debate, as it's unwinnable (tastes great vs. less filling)
> and ultimately unsatisfying. Find a balance between the two for you and
> make great pictures, or you may just convince yourself that the logical
> extension of (at least one side of) the argument is that Holgas are
> easier and cheaper.
>
> I still think that part of the answer lies with single malt.
>
> David W. Almy
> Annapolis

David,

You make some good points and I'd like to add that it's really helpful to know HOW and WHEN to throw the balance one way or the other.  Sometimes it's "get the picture whatever it takes" and at other times I can take the time for optimal technique.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.