Subject: Re: [Leica] Erwin, photographic technique
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 20:56:13 -0400

Tina, All,

A few points:

The original question concerned maximizing 35 technique to obtain the
best possible image. The responses have strayed a bit since.

There are many, many photographs "take-able" with 35 that aren't
possible with medium or large format equipment, even using tripods. As
you know, there is no medium/large format equivalent to the 35/1.4 ASPH,
or the 90/2 ASPH, or the 12 or 15 Cosinas, or the 280/2.8, etc.

We must be very careful with this technical quality vs. aesthetic
effectiveness debate, as it's unwinnable (tastes great vs. less filling)
and ultimately unsatisfying. Find a balance between the two for you and
make great pictures, or you may just convince yourself that the logical
extension of (at least one side of) the argument is that Holgas are
easier and cheaper.

I still think that part of the answer lies with single malt.

David W. Almy
Annapolis

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Erwin, photographic technique)
Message from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Erwin, photographic technique)