Subject: [Leica] Gigabitfilm; was Puts on More Photokina
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 12:25:35 +0100

>on 29/9/00 3:05 pm, Erwin Puts at imxputs@knoware.nl wrote:
>
>> And now for the surprise! Imagine a film with ISO40 to 64, with grain, much
>> finer than TechPan and without its extended red sensitivity, with definition
>> at least 8 times of Tmax100, extended tonality in grey scale, extreme
>> latitude of exposure, development time uncritical, fixing time 20 seconds,
>> drying time  half an hour.   Comparison pictures at 20x 30 inch with sheet
>> film negatives of 8x10 inch negatives show superiority for this new 35mm
>> film material. Can it exist. I have it on my desk!
>
>Can this be the new superthin emulsion that was announced last year???
>

>--
>Johnny Deadman

I do not know what Erwin has up his sleeve, but here is an update on
Gigabitfilm, the film I wrote about
quite some time ago.

The new Monochome catalogue for 2001 arrived a few days ago, and it is, as
always, a work of art. On page 152, they now list the Gigabitfilm in two
sizes, 9 by 12 cm and 4 by 5 inches. The price is DM 169 for 50 (which is
equal to US$ 75-80) but the price includes developer. As a comparison, the
price  for 25 sheet packs without developer for Deltas is DM 42, for Agfas
24-29 and for Kodak 52, except Tech Pan that is 149. Well, the film price
is just a start they say, you will need new lenses, new enlarger, new
cameras etc. And a steadier hand I presume. They quote a speed of ISO 25
and  900 line pairs /mm for the sheet film.  The 35 mm version will soon be
out with ISO 40 and 700lp/mm. I will keep you posted when it becomes
available. In the meantime here are the URLs: www.gigabitfilm.de and www.
monochrom.com

- --
Christer Almqvist