Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R 2.8/24
From: "Simon Coates" <michael@scoates.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 19:14:20 +0100

>Hi LUGers!
>
>Are there any opinions about the R 2.8/24?
>
>Need your advice ....
>
>Bye,
>
>Joachim

The R-24mm is regarded as one of the weaker lenses in the Leica line.  As
far as I know, the lens is made by Minolta, which Leica then take to bits
and finish it off (new mount, etc.).

How about a 28mm instead?  I have the latest version of the R-28mm f/2.8 and
it is a superb piece of glass; I am tempted to say it is sharper than the
100mm f/2.8 APO!  It is the only wide-angle lens in the R line that has been
redesigned in the last few years.  It is also a bit cheaper than the 24.

The site www.photodo.com has an MTF test on the 24; but take this with a
pinch of salt, as the Minolta AF and Leica -R 28mm lenses are both graded
the same; my tests of the two lenses show the Leica to be vastly superior.

Simon

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica R 2.8/24)