Subject: Re: [Leica] Still confused (was: 35, 90 and now 50mm?)
From: Dennis Painter <dpainter@bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 07:22:14 -0700

Bego Mario Garde wrote:

> "Now I think about buying a 50mm lens. But which one?" was my question two
> weeks ago and in the meantime I received many answers from the Leica Users
> Group. Thank you very much!
>
> I'm living very close to Cologne and so it was easy for me to visit Leica at
> the Photokina. I talked to a very friendly person from Leica about his
> opinion and he actually just repeated, what I learned from your answers so
> far:
> The Summicorn is the best choice for a standard-user regarding sharpness,
> low distortion and it generally is fast enough. If I would be willing to pay
> double as much for an additional f-stop, I could go for the Summilux. As an
> Amateur I probably couldn't see any difference in the quality of both lenses
> anyway.
> I also took a look at the Elmar M, but I didn't like the handling too much.
> And combined with the lens hood it isn't really that much smaller then the
> Summicron.
>
> Well. Actually I thought, I made my decision. But while going back home by
> train I read an article in an old Leica Fotografie-issue that I bought at
> the Photokina: Somebody from the Leica Academy wrote, that one of the
> differences between M-Photography and using SLR-Cameras would be, that the
> classic Leica-M-User would limit his equipment as far as possible. A 35 mm-
> and a 90 mm-lens (which I both own already) would be more then enough.
>
> Now I'm still confused, but on a higher level. :-)
>
> What would you do? "Travel light" and just stick with the 35 and 90mm-lens,
> or buy the 50mm Summicron additionaly? What is your experience? Would the
> 50mm 'cron be a wise completion or just another heavyweight to carry around?
>
> Buying a lens can be pretty difficult. :-)
>
> Bego
> --
> http://www.begoundstefanie.de

Bego,

Yes, buying a leica len$ can be difficult ;)

For years I used a 35 and 85, now that I have more to chose from I can't
really say it makes a huge difference. Yes it is fun to put a 15 on and
go wild shooting, but it is you making the photos, not the lens.  For a
long time I had a 50 but didn't use it much. Now I'm have picked up a 50
and started using it more and seeing things differently. But I think
it's not the lens that limits me, it is me.

My advice, not worth that much, is to get a small kit and take photos.
With time and $$$ you can add a lens and see where it leads you. If you
have specific things you want to do that will lead you to the lens, be
it a 21, Noctilux, 135.

When you do add a lens and find you are not really using it the resale
is high enough that when you look at it from a rental standpoint its not
all that bad.

Bests, and good luck with the photos!
Dennis