Subject: Re: [Leica] Black or Silver M6 TTL
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 07:59:04 -0600

The black chrome and silver chrome cameras are the same weight. Having had
both I would say that the black chrome cameras get that scuffed look sooner
than the silver chrome cameras.

The lenses use the natural self lubrication of aluminium and brass in their
focusing helicals. The black chrome lenses have the aluminium on the outside
but the silver chrome lenses have the brass on the outside as brass provides
the best surface for a durable silver chrome plating. As brass is
significantly heavier than aluminium and the "outer" part of the helical is
larger, this accounts for the greater weight of the silver chrome lenses.
Optically and mechanically they are the same.

John Collier