Subject: RE: [Leica] Black or Silver M6 TTL
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 08:40:32 -0400

My silver and black M6 bodies weigh the same and I presume this remains true
of the TTL models.  The silver lenses are heavier than the black lenses
because the silver lenses have brass barrels and the black lenses have
aluminum barrels.  This difference is due to the fact that aluminum barrels
do not take the chrome plating.  All M6 bodies are made of the same base
materials, except for the collectors' black paint expressions which have
brass top plates in place of the standard zinc.  I am not sure of the top
plate material on the titanium M6, the platinum, the Jaguar, the Rooster,
the Dragon, Colombo, Royal Wedding, or other commemorative exotica inter
alii.  In any case, I do not think that the various top plates alter the M6
body mass by a great deal.  See the LUG archives for more...much more...on
this topic.

In general, I have found that a black M6 shows its age a tad sooner than a
silver-chrome, though this is a purely aesthetic matter.  Mechanically, all
M6 bodies I have owned have been equally and remarkably durable.  By the
way, if you look around I believe you can still find some new "Classic" M6
bodies on offer, but I am not sure they are worth the price premium they
seem to invoke.

	Buzz Hausner