Subject: [Leica] Photokina 2000 (long!)
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 22:52:20 EDT

Every two years the camera-nuts gather at Photokina and fondle the latest
"innovations" in the photographic industry. There are 100 000's of dealers,
shooters, and the general public, all dragging huge bags with brochures,
pamphlets and the occasional free roll of film. It is also a gathering point
for LUGgers from all over, who come there to see what new things have been
promised by Leica.
 Tuulikki and I left Vancouver on the 13th of September and picked up a
rental car in Amsterdam and drove up to Sweden and for the first time we
could do this without touching a ferry! The new bridge between Copenhagen and
Malmö was opened in July and no more long waits at the ferry terminals.
Impressive sight but there is really no vantagepoint for getting a good shot
of the bridge, except from a boat or a chopper.
On our way to Sweden we stopped for a while in Copenhagen, at Photografica,
one of the better Leica stores there and we had a meeting with Claes Bjørn
Larsen, this year's World Press Photo winner. He is an avid Rapidwinder user
and I brought him a new one with the Rapidgrip and he had kindly put together
a wonderful portfolio of prints for us to take home.
 After Copenhagen it was a couple of days with relatives in Sweden, nice and
peaceful, but I managed to squeeze in a quick stop at Prokam, a store
operated by a friend of mine, Kjell Kullsten and we swapped some pieces back
and forth. I ended up with a nice M2 and an extremely ugly 90/2,8 (somebody
has painted it black with what looks like the paint you use on concrete
floors!).
On the 20th of September we drove down to Cologne, settled in our hotel,
conveniently located at the railway station in Bonn-Buele. The Photokina
day-pass works as a train-ticket too. The difference in cost of staying in
Cologne or 20 miles outside is drastic. The Dom Hotel charges US$ 1000/night
and our hotel was US$ 65! On Wednesday we decided to just take a couple of
hours off and wander around in Cologne. The interesting thing is that during
Photokina, every camera store put all the "goodies" in the window, trusting
that a lot of collectors and "bargain" hunters will show up. They are right;
every store is 3 deep with customers. There are not too many bargains
available, but the current high value of the $ makes it reasonable for buyers
from dollar based economy to buy. I did find an almost mint 50/3,5 in M-mount
for US$ 150, not a great lens compared to the new ones, but it makes an
M-body truly compact when collapsed.
 Thursday was the first day of Photokina madness! Leica changed their booth
and it is now less like Fort Knox. They had a lot of counterspace outside and
people behind the counters were actual Leica staff who knew the cameras, the
lenses etc. The new items from Solms, the 0,58 M6, the 28/2 Asph-Summicron,
the new M-winder, and the "Null" series replica were available to handle. My
absolute favourite is this "Null" series replica. It is absolutely beautiful
and, yes I have ordered one. I rather wait with upgrading one of my M6's and
have the "Null" camera! It will be interesting to see how it works out. You
have to cap the shutter every time you advance, the shutterspeeds are
2,5,10,20 and 50 and this indicates the slit-with of the shutter. The finder
is a folding peephole type. The camera looks like it is copied after either
the # 101 or #112 camera at Leica. Leica will make about 300 of these cameras
a month until the demand is filled and thus avoiding creating a
"collectible".
 The 0,58 has a nice viewfinder, better than the same magnification finder on
the Hexar RF. Because of the "wider" field there is more intrusion in the
finder from the hood and now and then you guessed what's hidden in the lower,
right hand corner. The 28/2 is slightly smaller than the 28/2.8 and felt
comfortable to use. Bill Rosauer and I had an opportunity to run some film
through the camera and lens on the Sunday, so in the next Viewfinder issue we
will do a story on it. The new M-winder is a disappointment in my estimation.
Yes, it is smaller than the old ones and, yes it has 2 speeds (1.5 frames/sec
and 2-3 frames/sec) but the combined grip/battery chamber is not very well
thought out. It is a round post like the old Topcon DM motor. You can't
really get a good hold on it and although it is ruggedly built, I would be
hesitant to lift the camera body and a heavy lens by the grip only. All the
"demo" winders at the Leica Booth had the same problem; every time you fire
with it, it completes the advance cycle and then the shutter release is
"kicked" up. The punch is bad enough that it shakes the camera! The first
version of the ill-fated M4-2 winder had the same problem but it was almost
gone by the time they put the last version of the M-winder on the market and
now they are back at square one again!
 I also had a chance to meet with Voigtlander/Cosina and I was shown the
latest from them. The 12/5,6 did create a bit of stir and so it should. The
longer I use it the more I like it! Voigtlander also showed a 28/1,9 Aspheric
in screw-mount. It will be released in early 2001 and from the first
impression of handling it, it will be a serious competitor for the Leica
28/2. There is also a 90/3,5 screw-mount Apo-Lanthar coming in early 2001.
Slightly longer the 75/2,5 and marginally heavier, but still very compact.
For those of us who still hang on to our old Nikon F's and F2's, they have
made a 125/2,5 Apo-Lanthar Macro. With a close focussing to 45mm (less than
2"). Great looking lens with a bayonet hood similar to Hasselblad and a very
smooth focussing action.
 Thursday, Friday, and Saturday we spent at Photokina and on Saturday
afternoon Erwin had arranged a meeting with LUGgers and Leica/Solms
expertise. It was held in a remote area of the exhibition and if it had not
been for Sal DiMarco's skills as a tourguide, a fair number of us would never
have made it there. His Leica held aloft, he plowed through the crowds and
got us to the right place at the right time. I will leave it to someone else
to do the review of the meeting but I can say that the new guys at
Leica/Solms are younger than the M-cameras and they appear to have an idea
where the company should go today.
 Saturday night was the main reason for being there. The 2nd LUG Photokina
dinner. It was a rowdy crowd that descended into the dungeons of the Italian
eatery that we had chosen. The members of the original "Leitz of the Round
Table" from 1998 were there and several newcomers. The evening was surely a
Leica feast. Lots of red wine, beer and to top it off, several bottles of
Sekt (German "champagne") were emptied, courtesy of Terance Dixon (UK). Nice
touch and we toasted Leica, Barnack, and some other stuff that I can't
recall. Of course, being LUGgers there was a large quantity of cameras around
so we decided to build a centerpiece with them. The initial call was for
black paint only and that was quite impressive and later we decided to
include any Leica. I did count to 27 cameras on that table, all M's except
Nathan Wajsman's son who had a R8. There were at least 3 Millenniums, one
LHSA M6 and a M6J with a 50/1,2 Noctilux, black M2 and black M3, a black
paint Summarex 85/1,5 as well as an old Leica II (1931) with only two owners
since new. It was interesting to watch the reaction when the waiters passed
plates of food over the cameras or glasses of beer and wine. Hey, we are
LUGgers and we are cool!
On Photokina Sunday there is a swap meet a couple of kilometers from the
exhibition and quite a few of us migrated there for "bargains". With the
strong $ the prices are not too bad on the run of the mill stuff.
Unfortunately Bill and I had to go back to Leica and probably for the first
time I left a camera-swap without having bought anything! Could this mean I
am recovering from Leica-fever! The European prices are all over the board
though. A very nice, clean 35/2 chrome (2xxx xxx) was US$1500 at one table
and less than US$800 at another table!
 Sunday afternoon was spent with the 0,58 M6 and the 28/2 and the weather was
great so I did run 5 rolls through it, mostly Neopan F rated at 40 ASA and a
couple of Delta 100.
 Monday AM we packed our Nissan Almera (where is Almera? and what connection
does Nissan have with it!) and proceeded to Utrecht and a great dinner with
Erwin and his wife Els. We kept the camera talk to a minimum and enjoyed the
food instead. Erwin is putting the finishing touches on the Lens Compendium
and it should be out in late October/early November. I saw the "dummy" copy
and it is written so that one does not have to be a lens-expert to understand
it. No MTF curves (all-right, not that many MTF curves) but obviously a lot
of information about Leica lenses. It will become an essential book for every
LUGger and Leica-user.
 Yesterday it was Amsterdam, short walk through the Dam-district after having
returned our rental-car and then the 9 hour flight back to Vancouver. I am
quite happy that this event only occurs every two years, I don't think I
could handle a yearly Photokina. All that good food, wine, beer and  people
takes a while to digest. But we are already making plans for the 2002
Photokina…
All the best,
Tom A

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Photokina 2000 (long!))