Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm, 90mm, and now 50 mm?
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:03:01 -0400

Buzz-
Wise and sage advice!
I constantly harp to our camera group locally that in most cases it really
doesn't matter what you use (HERESY! BURN 'IM) but what gives you the
results you want.
I drew it to the analogy of writers, and I've hung out with a few, and
lifted quite a few glasses in their company- generally pleasant, and when
writers talk about their work, I have never heard them say, "Well, I like
the Remington rather that the Smith-Corona since the type has a bertter
'bokeh' , and it is sharper...." I may use "Black Warrior" pencils liek
Stephen King supposedly used, but that won't make the quality of my writing
approach his, by a long shot!
Indeed, you have really struck a chord- for all of use who like Leica, but
use whatever suits our fancy, and our style. Lord, it isn't as if Leica is a
'one note' company- despite its long term love of the RF camera. Within the
genre, there are a myriad of LTMS, M and clones, and a large if not larger
selection of lenses to chose from that have been made over the last 65 years
or so. I too love the little Canadian Summicron 35- I sold it, and the buyer
was not happy with it, so I took it back, had Sherry clean and collimate it,
and when I did a coule of test rolls, fell in love with it all over again!
Sure, it's not THEN NEWEST, and it is a tad larger than the Summarron LTM
lens I like on the IIIf, but it is pleanty of lens for my style, and
compact- a very good compromise of features and character.
I thyink that more of the 'newbies' should not aspire to have the latest and
very best- alright if you have the expendable income, and can be profligate
on their hobby, but rather start out with those lenses and cameras like the
M's and LTMs and try them all- I have had R cameras from SLs to an
R7-M2-through M6 (save for the M5) and LTMs from a IIIa to a IIIf- and still
use the IIIc and IIIf. I found that all have certain qualities, and decided
thyat the DLR was not my style, even though the R8 and r6.2 are to me the
quintessential SLRs for manual work. (I still like to drive the camera
myself!)
It's good to hear some really sound advice !
Dan (WAIT! I don't have the Nomex skivvies zipped up yet!) Post
BTW Nomex underwear is not as good for cleaning lenses as is the regular old
cotton.... I haven't tried silk yet! :o)